Thursday, May 04, 2006

Many Cultured Weekend

Thurdsday night I had a bender. My friend Ian showed up at pub night and mentioned that it had been a while since he had a 5am night. This seemed like a challenge, so after pub night we went off with Scott and played darts and pool, and drank until well after 5am.
On friday, Megan decided to cook me dinner, having partaken in my culinary skills now for several months. Our plan was to have another outdoor weekend, but the forecast was against us. In any case Megan prepared a chopsky salad, paprika chicken, and dumplings. It was of course delicious, and there were plenty of leftovers. After dinner, we headed over to Matt's place for a little house party. We were the first there, though we arrived over half an hour late, and the party was a little slow to get moving. Eventually Chris and Scott arrived, and everyone started drinking and having fun. I went out on the balcony with Scott for a while, whicle Megan discussed poetry with Chris and Matt. Later in the night four Spanich girls that Matt's roommate invited came in, drank 2 bottles of rum, and began dancing and singing. It was an interesting introduction into their culture, as they showed us a traditional dance of Southern Spain, and sang what I gathered were traditional songs. One of them was even so nice as to give me her address and phone number in Spain should I ever visit. However, I was still pretty beat from my bender on Friday, and the girls didn't speak much English (Scott and Matt's roommate speak spanish), so I headed home with Megan around 1am.
Saturday night we met up with Scott for what is arguably the best svickova in town. We ate dinner and chatted over pivo for a couple of hours. After that we went off to see a band that includes Scott's celebrity student Mira. This man is some kind of local Czech rock star, and simply oozes charm and goodwill. Apprently his wife is also pretty famous. At least famous enought o be recognized. In any case the band was an interesting mix, and played a wide variety of songs though the most fun for me were The Girl from Ipanema and Lili Marlen. These were two of their softer tunes, but there was plenty of good rocking and a little pop as well. As Scott said you never what's coming up next. Megan and i left Scott with Mira around midnight or so (might have been earlier).
Sunday the weather was cold and rainy, so we just stayed in, but on Monday the weather cleared up for Mayday. The first of may is something akin to our Valientine's Day. Traditionally you are supposed to take your girld to the top of Petrin hill and kiss her under a flowering tree (there is some dispute as to specific types of tree). I couldn't miss the opportunity so Megan and I headed out to Ptrin Hill. Curtis wanted to meet us and spend the day, since we hadn't seen each other in months, so we met at the bottom of the hill and began the climb. There is a small moastary called Strahov at the back of the hill. This was our destination. Megan and I went in to take a peak at the interior of the library, though very little is accessible as the monastery is still in use. We found a lovely little flowering tree for our customary smooch, and then met back up with Curtis for the walk down. Back in mala Strana we ate lunch at a spectacular Mexican Restaurant, and decided we were not ready to call it a day. We walked over to a spectacular baroque garden called the Wallenstein garden. After that we took a tram up to the Royal Gardens, and strolled on through those into Letna Park. We walked past the anti-communist rally held at the base of what was once a giant Stalin statue, and on over to the beer garden that overlooks Prague from the north. We had a drink and the sperated with Curtis. Megan and I walked back to her place, where I gathered up my stuff and headed home. I had not brought my camera, so pictures will have to wait on Curtis and Megan.

No comments: