Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Zoo

Anyone who knows me well knows that I love animals. They bring out the little kid in me, and often make me a little giddy. This of course translates perfectly to a love of zoos. Zoos are the perfect blend of child and adult themepark. A proper zoo has rides, balloons, bright shiny colors, and if possible touchable animals. Combine all that with the educational plaques, beautiful views, and hopefully decent food, and you get a wonderland of entertainment. I could wander a zoo for days, and come back a week later and be amazed. Needless to say I have been anticipating a zoo trip since my arrival in Prague. The worst part is that the zoo is walking distance from my house. The day finally arrived on Saturday. The weather was beautiful. Sunny with just a few clouds in the sky, warm enough not to wear a jacket, but not so much as to be uncomfortable. Megan and I started the trek from my house, which gives us two options. We can follow the road around, which is the easier route I would say, or we can cut over Troja hill and go through the large botanical gardens. We, of course, chose the latter. The large park is beautiful, and just beginning to flower and bud. Lots of people were of course out on this fine spring day, and we made a few discoveries, including some spectacular childrens playgrounds (that it took great personal restraint to stay out of) and some community firepits (which I hope to take advantage of). The long walk ended in our arrival at the zoo. The Prague zoo is magnificent, though not all the exhibits were ready for the season, yet, so I will have to go back. Megan and I managed to show up at every exhibit just before the crowd arrived, so we were lucky not to get trampled too much. About midday we stopped at a little grill and got some klobasa, then headed down to the chairlift that runs between the top part of the zoo and the bottom part. Finally we headed into the childrens zoo to pet the sheep, goats,and Llammas with the other kids (though Megan clearly has more difficulty finding her inner child than I do). We ended the day with the walk home, which was uphill, and so more difficult after a day of walking, and dinner at the italian restaurant in my building. Pictures

No comments: