Friday, November 25, 2005

Buying a turkey in Prague

I thought it would be a real challenge to find a turkey for thanksgiving. Turns out there was a whole bin of them at my local Albert gracery store. Once I sifted through the geese, and the French turkeys (which were just too damn slender for my taste), I found what looked like the perfect thanksgiving turkey. Problem was there was no label on it. Now my kitchen is limited in it's readiness, and I knew I didn't have a meat thermometer (almost impossible to buy by the way). Without a label, I couldn't get the weight. So I went to the meat counter and as politely as I could ask in a foreign language, asked her to please weigh it for me. She resused, and started waving her hands at me and such. I didn't leave so she went and got a manager who came out with some sort of scanner, and scanned another turkey and showed me the price. The gist of the problem was that they assumed I needed the weight so I could get a price, when in fact I needed the weight for cooking time. We argued about this for a few minutes, and I was getting really frustrated with her when it hit me that in this situation I'm the jackass. I'm living in their country and shopping at their store speaking my language. So I took my turkey and left.

No comments: