Thursday, February 02, 2006

Birthday

For those of you who sent birthday wishes, I'd like to say a collective thank you. My birthday went very well. Originally I had not planned on having a celbration as such. Generally I just wanted to go somewhere with a couple of friends and throw some darts. People kept asking about my birthday so at the last minute I decided to pretty much just announce where I was going to play darts and see who turned up. The place was recommended to me by my friend and supervisor Ann (who also had me over for Christmas dinner). I was a little nervous about the place because it was located in a Herna bar, but it turned out to be quite nice. There were at least a dozen pool tables and 3 electrronic dart boards which suited me just fine. Approximately 15 people showed up, which was pretty great. For those of you who know me, you'll surely be impressed that I could amass a friendship group of that size in just four months. In the five months I lived in New York I managed to amass exactly 1 brand new friend. The wonders of expatriate life. In any case it was loads of fun. I played darts most of the night, and so was a little less social to those who didn't, but fortunately there were enough people in attendance to keep everyone entertained. Also I won 6 out of 8 games, so I was pretty pleased (My teammate for most of those games was Matt, who had never played before, and so was pretty pleased as well). Anne and her friend John, the only other experienced players also put in good showings, though Megan who had also never played before demonstrated pretty great skills that I hope to exploit from now on. It's always good to have a good opponent. Anyway I drank lots of Czech beer, recieved to bottles of Becherovka and lots of books as gifts, so all in all a better birthday than I had anticipated. Megan was kind enough to take photographs while I played darts, so here they are...Pictures

No comments: