Friday, January 06, 2006

Texan dies in bizarre bus accident

I realized I had not told the story about the bus that attacked me. A few weeks back while trying to take Megan out to dinner, we were traveling from one restaurant that was full to another. When we came to the bus stop there was already a bus waiting. A little old woman was standing in the door waiting for her friend to arrive so they could get on. I hesitated for a moment because I didn't want to step in front of her. I realized she wasn't getting on, so I stepped into the doorway. Just as I was taking that step I heard the buzzer that supposed to warn people that the door will be shutting soon. I was already in midstride, so I kept moving. Just as my foot landed on the first step, the door closed. The buses have scissored double doors, so the effect was to catch me right down the middle. Unfortunately the doors are not set to open if they encounter resistance. So I just was trapped there until the bus driver decided to open the door again. He finally did, but only left it open long enough to get al of me, but my other foot through the door, closing it again on my left ankle. I suddenly had visions of myself traveling sown the road with my foot hanging out, but fortunately the driver must have realized that he couldn't do that to someone, and opened the door. This time he left it open long enough for me to get all the way in the bus, and for Megan and the old lady to follow. However he shut the door in the face of the old lady's friend. Somehow it seems I got the blame for this. I could tell by the glare from the little old lady.

No comments: