Friday, September 02, 2005

Rainman goes to Prague

Those of you who know me know that by nature I am a creature of habits. I tend to fall into routines to help me make sense of the world. Unfortunately this doesn't always jibe to well with the life I embarked on a couple of years ago, and certainly the life I am currently leading. I don't usually think much on the subject, but when I awoke in Connor's bedroom this morning, and looked out on the now familiar view of the Triboro Bridge that awaits me every morning I was momentarily haunted by the idea that I will be uprooting again in a scant few short weeks. Certainly as the last few months have flown by for me, so will the next three weeks. Of course, I could no more stay in Joan's son's bedroom than I could stay in Houston from which I fled like a fox from the hunt. It seems strange to me, that I will soon be in a foreign country where I don't speak the language, and will have to find a way, not just to visit, but forge out a life there. it's exhilerating, and horrifying at the same time. At times I can't wait to get on the plane, and at others I want to hug my metro card to my chest, close my eyes and mutter like rainman trying to watch Jeopardy.

Funny thing is everybody told me i'd never do it. Told me that people always say they're gonna do stuff like this but never do (Of course that's bullshit, because I know too many ex-pats), and I always responded that shere force of will would get me on the plane, so I guess i'm a man of my word. I've won a few bets, or I will when I actually get there. Perhaps this is all coming up because I'm going to visit my family this weekend, or because my best friend who is a mere child just had his second baby. I haven't seen him yet, but I'm sure he's beautiful, and apparently he's tiny like his father. Who knows. Either way, in just five months I've managed to make New York my home, but now it's almost time to go and try to do the same in Prague.

No comments: