Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Something to think about

So I talked briefly to my friend Stacy today whose post is below. Even though he (yes it's a he) rarely returns my calls anymore, he did call to congratulate me on my new blog. We chatted briefly about the coming of his new child. Now Stacy is 18 or 19 or something like that, and his wife is at best 15 years old, and they're working on their second beautiful new child. Due very soon. He told me the date, but good friend that I am I already forgot. He's planning to make me the godfather, which is very cool and quite an honor. How he convinced his wife, I'll never know. But it got me thinking. Here I am divorced, 31, moving to Prague, and this little man is having a second baby. It's a litle strange. Also, I'm going to be the godfather. That means if (god forbid) both of them should die in a horrible accident, I am supposed to step in and take care of the baby. Now mind you only the second child, the first one will have to fend for herself. The image that came into my mind was the night we were out together and I got so trashed I was lying in the back of our friends pickup. This wasn't years ago in our wild and crazy days, but scant months ago. He has a picture that he loves to show around (god bless camera phones). Stacy and I actually became friends by being drinking buddies at work. Ssssh, don't tell anyone, that's a secret cause he was my employee. Still he trusts me with his family. Or maybe it's just a symbolic gesture as these things so often are, and he has airtight stipulations in his will that under no circumstances am I to take any responsibility for the boy (I just found out it was a boy today). Anyway, food for thought.

No comments: